Carers Emergency Card Scheme

Do you look after someone? If you do, whether you are a friend, neighbour or relative, the Carers Emergency Card has been designed with you in mind.

The idea is very simple. You carry the yellow card (credit card size) with you and should you have an accident or be taken ill it will immediately let people know that someone is depending on you.

When the card is found it clearly instructs the finder to ring the emergency telephone number at Redditch Life Line. This telephone is staffed 24 hours a day.

The Lifeline staff will hold the information you have given on your application form. They will immediately know who to contact and what to do in an emergency.

If you wish, the person you care for can also be issued with a card to carry. This will provide you with the added peace of mind that, should they be involved in an emergency, help will be at hand.

If you would like to apply for the card please do one of the following:

ONLINE: Apply online HERE

VIA EMAIL: Send an email to [email protected] asking to be sent a Carers Emergency Card Form

DOWNLOAD, PRINT AND POST: Download and fill in the form HERE. You will need to post it back to us at the address on the form.

CALL US: Call us on 0300 012 4272 so we can post a form out to you 

Message in a bottle (Datalink Pot)

This allows the emergency services to access vital personal and medical information should you suffer from an accident or illness at home. Your personal and medical information is stored in a clearly labelled plastic container and kept in your fridge.


The container holds two labels, known to the emergency services, which can be displayed in your home one on the fridge door and the other at eye level on the INSIDE of your main entry door.


If you would like details of this service, please call our helpline 0300 012 4272 or download our Carers Emergency Card application form and tick the option to request one.


ICE (In Case of Emergency)

By adding the word ICE in your mobile contacts list and naming your next of kin’s name. This provides contact details for the emergency services should anything happen to your loved one, they will know who to contact.

You can access a 24-hour ‘on call’ service every day of the year through your GP or dentist. This ‘on call’ service provides advice, or if necessary makes a home visit. It is unlikely that your own GP will visit. The Primary Care Trusts are responsible for this service. Your dentist should have arrangements for advice or, if appropriate, treatment until 10.00pm.

Non-Life threatening emergencies for Health

You can also call the NHS 111 Service – click on the link:


Nearest Accident & Emergency Unit

If you cannot contact your doctor, but need urgent medical advice, you can contact your nearest hospital Accident and Emergency Unit or visit NHS website to find your nearest A&E Unit by clicking on the link:


Worcestershire Royal Hospital

01905 763333

24 hour cover

Redditch Alexandra Hospital

01527 503030

24 hour cover

 There are Minor Injury Units at:


Kidderminster Hospital

01562 823424

24 hour cover

Evesham Community Hospital

01386 502399

8am – 11pm weekdays only

Malvern Community Hospital

01684 612619

9am – 9pm every day

Tenbury Community Hospital

01584 810643

24 hour cover

Bromsgrove Princess of Wales Community Hospital

01527 488058

Monday – Friday 8am – 8pm, Saturday and Sunday 12pm – 8pm


Dental Emergency and Out-of-Hours Care

Worcester Dental Access Centre

01905 681796

Monday to Friday – 1.30-5.00– Patients must arrive before 3.00pm

Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays 9.00- 12.30 - Patients must arrive before 11.00am

Evesham Dental Access Centre Evesham Community Hospital


01386 502453

Monday to Friday - 9.00- 12.30– Patients must arrive before 11.00am

Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays 9.00- 12.30 - Patients must arrive before 11.00am

Kidderminster Dental Access Centre


01562 514515

Monday to Friday please do not arrive before 1.30pm

Monday to Friday – 1.30- 5.00– Patients must arrive before 3.00pm, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays 9.00- 12.30 - Patients must arrive before   11.00am


Click on the link for further information:


Make a note of the telephone numbers for your doctor, dentist and local hospitals and keep them somewhere safe so you will have them in an emergency.


Emergency SMS Service

The Emergency SMS Service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send a text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.

You will need to register your mobile phone before using the emergency SMS service, click on the link above for more information:

Simply by sending an text message to 999 you can call for help and the emergency services will be able to reply to you.


Social Services – Adult Care

When should I call the Emergency Duty Team (EDT)?

You should call the Emergency Duty Team only if someone's safety and/or welfare is at serious risk and the situation cannot wait until 9am on the next working day.

The EDT can be contacted on 01905 768020

The service is available between:

4:30pm Friday - 9:00am Monday 5:00pm - 9:00am Monday to Thursday and all Bank Holidays

After midnight messages left on EDT voice bank activates an EDT social worker's pager.


Life-threatening emergencies

Call 999 in a medical emergency – when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk. Even if the ambulance crew only need to give First Aid, or to get someone up after a fall, you will not be charged.

The Samaritans: Offer a free and confidential service. They are available round the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, it's best to call them on 116 123, this number is FREE to call.   You don't have to be suicidal to call them. Click on the link for further information:


What is the Herbert Protocol?

For missing people with dementia or other mental vulnerabilities

The Herbert Protocol is a national scheme adopted by police services and other agencies across the country.

It is a simple risk reduction tool to be used in the event of a person with Dementia or other mental vulnerability going missing. It consists of a form that contains vital information about a person at risk that can be passed to the police if the person is reported missing. A recent photograph of the person should also be kept with the form.

Vital information about the person such as medication, a description, photograph, significant places in the person's life and their daily routine, are pre-recorded on a form. It encourages carers, families, friends or neighbours, to hold information about the person with Dementia that can help the police find them if they do go missing.

Who fills the form in?

The care provider, the person at risk or family member. The police will only ask for the form, or the information in the form, if the person is reported missing.

Click on the link for further information and download forms/leaflets